Tax Return Preparer Requirements
The IRS has undertaken several intiatives to reach tax return preparers with education and enforcement. All paid preparers must register with the IRS and obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).
Make sure you request your tax preparer to prove their credibility.
As a verified IRS E-File provider, it is our duty to inform you on what services you should be receiving.
For the preparer, the steps are as follows:
Access Your Account
If you already have an online PTIN account,login now.
2.Renew Your PTIN
Complete the online renewal application. You must verify your personal information and answer a few new questions. View a checklist of what you need before you get started.
Pay the $63.00 renewal fee via credit card or direct debit.
Review your next steps, including any testing and continuing education requirements. Remember to renew your PTIN each calendar year.
NOTE: The Registered Tax Return Preparer Competency Test is now available!
- 7 Ways to Work with a Tax Preparer (getirshelp.com)
- Beware of Unscrupulous Tax Preparers (getirshelp.com)
- Tax Tips from the IRS: Choosing a Tax Preparer (soilltaxcampaign.wordpress.com)
- Johnston: Tax Preparers, Not Working Poor, Defraud EITC Program (taxprof.typepad.com)
- Tax Preparers Receive Test Results (getirshelp.com)
- How to Choose a Tax Preparer (getirshelp.com)
- TurboTax – Tax Preparation Checklist (turbotax.intuit.com)